All your base are belong to them.
This is a month late but for those of you who haven't noticed, the guys at Ufoai.sourceforge.net have released the March updates for their freeware strategy game a while back. The current version that's being dissected AND reverse-engineered at their operating table now has base attack!
Let me say that again: UFO: Alien Invasion, the Quake 2-powered freeware strategy game that's trying to bring back the X-Com gameplay from the days of yore, now has BASE ATTACK!
>>> More details about this sci-fi turn-based freeware strategy game
Imagine, you've just captured several aliens and their doodads, and you're trying to figure out what makes the things tick, when suddenly the whine of anti-gravity drives erupt from somewhere above you and you realize that somewhere outside your base, lumbering Ortnoks and crafty Shevaar assault units are trying to storm in. You're caught in an alien base attack with you in one of PHALANX's modular research units with your pants down and with the 36-24-35 gorgeous orderly who just got hired!
Wait, that came out wrong again.
Anyway, you get the idea. Base attack ladies and gents! Base attack!
>> You can download the freeware strategy game from HERE.
Other highlights from Ufoai.sourceforge.net (for a more complete list go to the freeware strategy game's official site):
* Lots and lots of UI updates, fixes and reorganisation, including market, transfer, lost/won, alien containment, base attack and other menu updates.
* Campaign mode fixes, including alien campaign fixes.
* Further widescreen support improvements.
* Various battlescape fixes, including inventory, soldier and firemode selection.
* In battlescape it is now possible to shoot over single crouched actor.
* A bit more threading in various components.
* Geoscape fixes and updates, including a crash when destroying an installation, merged base and installation controls, default base name fix, max installation count limited to 3*(working base count), mail system fixes, message option updates and fixes to interception path calculation.
* Map fixes and updates, including some work on alien base map.
* Updates to translations, including initial Korean translation.
* LUA AI fixes, including a memleak fix.
* Many fixes to the new pathfinding.
* Gameplay changes, including alien equipment and aircraft size changes and UFO recovery improvements.
* New UFOpedia images and textures.
* And the usual round of lots and lots of other fixes, totalling at 650 revisions.