Friday, June 26, 2009

How to Resolve GameCam Audio Record Problems

(Apologies for the title above.)

I got so annoyed at having to go to the GameCam forums to read again on how to record audio using the software everytime I install a new version that I decided to make this. This post serves as a handy guide for senile ol' me.

Can't record video game audio with GameCam? The solution is simple:

1. Make sure you have a registered version. The free GameCam version can't record audio.

2. Make sure you have selected the correct recording device in the Windows Recording Control interface.

To do this:

1. Press Windows + R. (Or got to Start > Run.)

2. Type "sndvol32.exe /record" without the quotes.


3. On the screen that pops up, make sure "Stereo Mix" is selected. Leave the volume slider alone.


4. Run GameCam. Run your favorite game. When both are running, press F1 and under the "Audio" tab (in GameCam, not the game), check to see if the "Default Recording Device" is selected.

5. Record. (Default GameCam hotkey: HOME)

6. See if it works. If the video produces scratchy/distorted sound, go back to Step 2 and see if the volume slider is too high.

I hope this works for you. Kudos goes out to TommyBoy, Site Admistrator of the GameCam forums, for posting a similar guide (albeit without the pictures).

Here's a video I've made using the software (Area 51 freeware single- and multiplayer shooter game on Hard mode):


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

great thanks alot this really helped me, had no idea how to do it

Ildamos said...

Glad to be of help! ^^ Happy gaming!

Anonymous said...

I use this to make audio work on my gamecam and it worked fine the first time when recording, But when I went to record on a second time and on, It seems that it keeps on unchecking itself for some odd reason, Think you can help me out with this ? Write to me @ maunruh1962@yahoo.com please to help me out with this issue

Ildamos said...

You might want to check the official forums for this product. A caveat though: one forum admin was very cranky. Worst customer treatment I got, hands down. You could always send a letter directly to the devs (they provide you with their e-mail address if you request for it).

Anonymous said...

hey, any idea how to do this in Windows 7?

Gamecam records sound fine, as long as i don't plug my microphone in.

Ildamos said...

Unfortunately, I don't have that OS. You'll have to head over to the official GameCam forums.