Saturday, November 8, 2008

How to Change Graphic Drivers for PCI and AGP Graphics Cards

NOTE: I've been using this procedure for well over three years now (Driver Sweeper is relatively new however) and so far I've yet to encounter problems. However, I won't provide tech support in case something goes wrong with your PC. Use the procedure at your own risk.

Please be aware that I own an Nvidia GeForce card and hence use Nvidia graphic drivers.

My procedure:

1. Uninstall the old Nvidia graphic driver.

2. Reboot to Safe Mode

3. Run Driver Sweeper (make sure to check "Nvidia - Display" ONLY). This freeware will delete all registry entries that have been left behind by your old Nvidia graphic driver.

4. Reboot

5. Run RegCleaner.

6. Reboot again.

7. Make a restore point using Windows XP's System Restore tool or ERUNT. (Just in case you're installing a third party tweaked driver or a beta driver; restore points are handy in case something goes awry.)

8. Install the new Nvidia graphic driver.


pci dss said...

OK,that's very good.

Shazbot said...

Glad you found this article useful. You can see my video card graphic drivers Benchmark test results at: